International Moving FAQs

Moving Resources Moving Checklist international customs guides know your rights


How do I get started with my move?
Please fill out our online rate request form or contact us so we can get a better idea of the services you will require. We will respond with a rate and answer any questions you may have.
I have received quotes from other companies for door-to-door services, but they did not include origin packing/loading or destination unloading/unpacking. Are these services included in your door-to-door rates?
Unlike many of our competitors, Cartwright International provides customers a premium full service moving package, often priced below minimum packages offered by other movers. Customers receive professional in-home packing and secured transport to any final destination and our service includes unpacking services at your new home. There is no additional charge when our agents provide removal of debris on delivery day. If you do not require packing and unpacking services at the origin or destination, pricing will be adjusted.
Who will be performing origin services at my current residence?
Cartwright International has a dependable network of reliable agents worldwide to conduct local services.
Should I do any packing myself?
Unless otherwise requested, your quote will include full door-to-door service, which includes packing at origin. Also keep in mind that many third-party insurance companies will not cover damages to contents in boxes that were not packed by professional movers.
How long will it be until I receive my goods at destination?
Depending on your destination, after the origin agent picks up your goods, please allow 1-3 weeks for your goods to arrive at the destination port. When your goods arrive at the destination port, please allow 3-5 business days for the ocean line to release your goods to be picked up by your port agent. Please allow 1-3 weeks (depending on destination) for the port agent to deliver your goods to the destination agent. When your goods physically arrive at the destination agent, they will contact you to schedule delivery to residence on their/your earliest available date.
I made a partial payment at origin, how can I pay my C.O.D. balance due at destination?
Please be prepared to remit any amount due at time of delivery before the delivery crew begins unloading. Payments may be made in the form of a major credit card, cashier’s check or money order (no cash or personal checks please) made payable to Cartwright International.
Will there be any additional charges not originally quoted?
There may be additional charges if you require storage, or the residence requires additional handling that was unknown at the time of the original quote due to stairs, elevators or access problems.
What types of insurance coverage do you offer?

Cartwright International’s liability for high-value items is limited to $100 per pound. But for items that exceed that in value, Cartwright International offers a simple, stress-free plan of protection.

We also offer Basic Liability Protection, which provides repair or replacement up to a maximum of $0.60 per pound per article should your goods get damaged or lost. Keep in mind, though, when it comes to protecting your belongings, one size does not fit all. The level of protection you need may be greater than minimum levels based on your total shipment weight. Be sure to consider high-value items such as artwork, electronic equipment, crystal and porcelain collectibles. Basic Liability Protection is free of charge with your move, but you must request this moving coverage in writing.

Should I purchase third party insurance?

In addition to the standard no-cost limited liability, Cartwright International offers no deductible full-value replacement through the industry leading, third party insurance carrier, TGI.

Optimal Household Moving Coverage from TG INTERNATIONAL INSURANCE BROKERAGE, INC. offers you total peace of mind with the most comprehensive protection plan in the industry. TGI covers the cost to repair or replace, whichever is less, any household item that is damaged, lost or destroyed.

In the unlikely event there are some damages to my property, how do I file a claim?

Start the claim process:

Non-Military, call 855.210.5359 (toll free)

Military, call 800.821.2511 (toll free)

How can I track my move?
 Once your household items are loaded and in transit your International Moving Coordinator will send you a login and password for online tracking purposes available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Click here to track your household items in transit.

Are there items that I cannot move?
Yes, there are a number of common household items that cannot be transported in your international shipment. You will be provided with a comprehensive list, but here are some general categories: aerosols, flammables, cleaning agents, perfume, combustibles, perishables, plants, ammunition, paints, building materials and automotive parts.

Some other items are not covered under the transit protection: jewelry, coin or stamp collections, stock certificates, rare items, currency and important documents.

This is my first International relocation. How will my belongings be packed?
When the packing team arrives at your home, your personal belongings will be placed in appropriate cartons or containers. To protect your goods from damage, items will be individually wrapped in paper pads, or padded fabric, as needed. Made of shock-absorbing fiber, the paper pads are used exclusively for international relocations. The fabric pads serve as protection for fine surfaces during the move.
How will my shipment be loaded?
Once your shipment has been completely packed, it will be placed inside one or more containers, depending upon the weight of your shipment. The type of containers selected will depend on the mode of transportation, the size of your shipment and your destination. Your shipment can be loaded into one or more of the following:

  • Lift-vans
  • Steamship containers
  • Air containers

A lift-van is a wooden container with skids that is normally loaded by a forklift. Lined with water-resistant paper and caulked to prevent leakage, lift-vans range in size from 185 to 210 cubic feet; steamship companies supply the containers.

To transport small shipments by air, the most common containers used are tri-wall boxes. These are very large triple-layer corrugated cardboard boxes that range in size from five to 100 cubic feet.

I have some items that I am especially concerned about moving. How can I prepare them for the move?
In the moving industry, items having a value of more than $100 per pound are known as “articles of extraordinary value.” All “articles of extraordinary value” in your shipment must be listed on the High-Value Inventory form, which will be given to you by the origin packing agent to complete. Although you might have other articles of extraordinary value, the following list should help you identify items that might fall under this classification: CD or DVD Collections (ALL CD’s or DVD’s must be packed in their original containers for transit), furs, art collections, crystal, figurines, antiques, oriental rugs, precious stones or gems, china and silverware. In the event of a claim, any settlement involving an article of extraordinary value listed on the High-Value Inventory form is limited to the value of the article, not to exceed the declared value of the shipment, based upon the valuation program applicable to your shipment.

If an article of extraordinary value is not listed on the form it may be harder to prove its value should it become damaged. If you have items that you feel are of value exceeding the norm discuss these items with your origin agent and plan to fill out a High Value Inventory at the time of your move.

To protect yourself financially, take pictures of your furniture and valuables as proof of ownership in the event of loss or damage. In addition, photograph anything that might need to be disassembled for transit so the destination crew will know how to reassemble the items.

Do my appliances need special attention?
Most refrigerators, washers, dryers and other electrical or mechanical appliances require special servicing to ensure safe transportation. Any moving parts such as motors on major appliances, washer drums, icemakers and the pickup arm on a phonograph should be securely fastened for shipment. Gas appliances need to be serviced and disconnected prior to your move.

It is the owner’s responsibility to see that appliances are serviced for shipment before they are loaded on the van. Upon request and for an additional charge, Cartwright International will perform this service, using qualified personnel or an authorized service company.

Can I move my houseplants or food?
Unfortunately, houseplants are not allowed in international shipments. Please make arrangements for someone to tend to your plants while you’re away or donate them to a friend, family member or charity.
What about my pets?
Although we cannot make arrangements to move your pets, your moving coordinator will be available to answer any of your questions or concerns regarding the safe transportation of your pet. If you know which commercial airline you’ll be flying they can also be a valuable source of information. Please take into account the time of year you’ll be traveling when considering the special needs of your pets as some airlines cannot provide temperature controlled environments during transit. Read more about moving with pets.
I may need temporary storage. Is there anything I should know if my shipment is going into storage?
In most cases, you will not need to authorize storage in transit before the shipment is placed into storage.

Please do not put items in storage that you may need to access. Your goods will be stored in palletized storage vaults in a designated Cartwright agent’s warehouse. Your goods will not be accessible to you. In most instances the shipment will safely remain in the same crates in which it was transported.

How do I prepare my computer, TV, DVD player, stereos and other entertainment equipment for the move?
Computers and printers require special care. Please refer to your “It’s Your Move” pamphlet for up-to-date information. Wires and cables need to be disconnected and monitors and hardware should be wrapped similar to other home electronics. We recommend that you backup your system via a cloud storage provider and/or a thumb drive so that you can access your files during the move.

Other types of personal entertainment equipment generally do quite well in transit. The best way to move electronic components is in their original cartons with the original packing materials. You can do this yourself but if you don’t have these cartons, we will carefully pack everything in your entertainment center for you.

Auto Moving & Vehicle Shipping FAQs

How far in advance should I schedule the transport of my vehicle?
We will need at least 1 ½ to 2 weeks. This will give ample time for all paperwork to be signed and payment in full received.
What forms of payment are accepted?
We accept: Cashier Checks (no personal checks), Money Orders, Wire Transfers and major Credit Cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express), which will need to be paid before the vehicle is picked up or dropped off at the port terminal. You may get a free instant quote here.
What is an oversize fee?
An oversize fee is applied for vehicles over 22ft long, 8ft wide and/or 7ft tall. The initial quote system will automatically include an oversize fee to cover moving cost, however for the most accurate quote on an oversized vehicle, we suggest speaking to one of our Automotive Moving Coordinators by dialing toll free: 855.210.5359.
How do I prepare my vehicle?
The vehicle must be cleared of any personal belongings or valuables, have a least ¼ tank of gas or less, the outside should be clean enough for condition inspection.
Can I put things in the trunk?
No, Automotive Transporters are not permitted by law to transport personal belongings, as they do not have a household goods transportation license. By violating this law they can be fined up to $10,000 per occurrence. In addition, if you were to place things in the car they would not be covered by insurance.
Can you guarantee a pick-up and delivery date?
Due to customs clearance, weather conditions or other unpredictable or uncontrollable circumstances Cartwright International is not able to guarantee transportation dates for your vehicle. If there are delays of any kind, you will be given a status update within 24 hours Monday – Friday, excluding major holidays between the hours of 8 am to 5 pm CST.
How much will it cost to ship my car?
Obtain quotes from several car transport companies. Automotive move estimates are free. To get accurate information, be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Origin city/destination city
  • Approximate departure date (when your car is available for pick up)
  • Type of vehicle(s)
  • Special transport requests (e.g., drop off at terminal vs. at your home)

Perform due diligence regarding the car moving company you are considering. The cheapest move quote you receive may not always be your best bet. If you pay too little, the likelihood that your vehicle will be transported in a timely manner is diminished. Pick a car transporter that responds well to your request for information, has a solid track record and can provide you with good value.

How do I know if my car is insured?
Beware of shipping your car with a company that is exclusively a “broker.” Many of these companies do not own automotive carriers and depend upon the carrier that actually carries your car to provide insurance. If the truck driver’s insurance coverage has lapsed for any reason, you will be unprotected.
How do I find out when my car will arrive?
You will be assigned an International Moving Coordinator who will provide information about where your vehicle is in the transport process. Be aware that most companies use “estimated” dates since it is impossible to schedule vehicle freight precisely.
When and how do I pay?
Payment terms are prior to pick up or drop-off service. We accept: Cashier Checks (no personal checks), Money Orders, Wire Transfers and major Credit Cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express), which will need to be paid before the vehicle is picked up or dropped off at the port terminal.
What documentation will I need?
Prior to leaving your car with our transportation affiliate, your vehicle will be thoroughly inspected and you will be provided a copy of the Original Inspection Report. This report provides pick-up and delivery information, current mileage, and most importantly, shows the condition of your car at time of pick-up with any pre-existing scratches and dents, cracked glass/mirrors, general paint condition, etc. Keep this report and use it when you receive your vehicle.
Why do I need the Original Inspection Report?
At the time of delivery, inspect your vehicle and compare the condition and mileage against the Original Inspection Report (see item above). Never accept your vehicle at night if you cannot verify its condition – without being viewed and signed by the driver, you have little recourse if damage had occurred during transit.